Student Property FAQs

Student Search

Filter your results by using the options below.
Select your preferred Area or number of Bedrooms required.
 Show Individual Rooms
PC Properties.

Student Accommodation - FAQs

In which areas of Sheffield are your houses and apartments located?

Hunters Bar
Hanover Way

Our properties range in size from 1 bedroom studio apartments, up to 10 bedroom shared houses

When should I start looking for a student property?

Letting of student accommodation in Sheffield usually commences from the 1st of November.

The majority of properties tend to be fully let by the Christmas break, so it's a good idea to start looking early for a student house in Sheffield, particularly if you want to be sure of finding a good property in a good location.

 ***  Important Notice Re. Student Property Viewings ***

With regard to current COVID-19 regulations and guidelines, the safety of everyone concerned is of course, our main priority.

Therefore, in compliance with regulations and guidance concerning the Coronavirus, we will apply the following precautions during any property viewing.

  1. We can only show one person around the property, or a maximum of two members if from the same household.
  2. If additional members of your group require a viewing, then any further viewings would have to be arranged on subsequent days.
  3. Please confirm who in your group will be attending the viewing, together with their e-mail address and mobile number.
  4. We would request that you wear a protective face mask throughout the viewing.
  5. Wherever possible, please maintain social distancing.
  6. PC Properties staff will wear a protective face mask.
  7. PC Properties will supply hand sanitiser.
  8. All relevant surfaces, e.g. door handles, handrails etc will be wiped with suitable anti-bacterial wipes
  9. Providing the current tenants are in agreement, you can take photos or video the property during your viewing.
  10. Importantly, please note that we cannot carry out viewings if you or your current housemates are currently self-isolating, are showing symptoms, or have been tested positive for the Coronavirus.

Call us on 0114-267-6177
Email us at
Visit us at 398, Ecclesall Road, S11 8PJ

In addition to normal working hours, we also carry out viewings on Saturdays during the busy letting period, November to December.

Please bear in mind we must provide our tenants with at least 24 hours notice of any viewing.

All viewings are accompanied by a PC Properties member of staff, and you can either meet us at the property or at our office.

During the viewing, feel free to ask as many questions as you like, e.g, cost of utility bills, what's the neighborhood like, are there any maintenance issues, etc. We would also encourage you to ask the current tenants any relevant questions, particularly with regard to the quality of service provided by PC Properties.

We have viewed the property and wish to rent it; what do we need to do now?

Once you have confirmed your interest in letting the property, we always provide a draft copy of the contract. We are pleased to receive any questions or provide clarification.

Before you enter into any contractual tenancy agreement, we strongly recommend that you make your parents of your intentions. If they have any queries regarding your proposed tenancy, then we would be pleased to answer any questions they may have. 

Once you are happy to proceed and to reserve the property, you will need to make an appointment to sign the tenancy contract, pay the refundable deposit, pay the administration fee, and complete a Tenant Details form.

Government legislation introduced in February 2016 requires that the Landlord/Managing Agent must carry out checks to ensure proof of identity and that they have a legal right to rent a property in the U.K.  Therefore, you will be required to present your passport and student i.d card which we are required to check and take a photocopy.

Please bear in mind that any shared house tenancy contract is a joint one, and therefore all rent payments and any possible damages become the joint responsibility and liability of all tenants.  Our tenancy agreement states; "The Tenant acknowledges that if more than one person is named on this agreement, the Tenant liability and obligations under the terms of the agreement shall be joint and several between those name".

How long does the tenancy agreement last for?

PC Properties normally let student accommodation in Sheffield for a 12 month period (1st July – 30th June the following year). However, some properties may be available on a 10 or 12-month contract.

Are utility bills & WIFi included?

You have the option to opt for inclusive or exclusive of utility bills, although selected properties must be rented on an all-inclusive utility bill basis. (please email or call for further information).

Our all-inclusive rent rates include gas, electric, water & T.V licence. (See below re. WIFI)

If you decide not to opt for all bills inclusive, then as a guideline, you should allow £10-12 per person per week to cover bills. Before committing to any property, please do carefully consider the cost of renting and plan your budget for the year ahead, taking into account not only the rent but utility bills,  food and other day-to-day living expenses.

WIFI is provided to all of our student properties.

The WIFI service provider is Plusnet and the phone line is supplied by British Telecom.

The WIFI is based on an unlimited managed broadband service.

The WIFI service is maintained and supported by a Sheffield based IT company - Gemfish Ltd.

In the event of any problem with the WIFI service, you contact Gemfish directly. They will undertake to resolve any issues within a 24 hour period.

Gemfish provide excellent support service and should you have any problem, you will not be faced with the problems and frustration many of us have encountered when we have had to contact the support desk of some of the larger internet service providers!    

Do we have to pay council tax?

No. As a student, you are exempt from council tax, and PC Properties inform the council for you and apply for your exemption form.  However, the council may also contact you and request proof of your student status. 

Please note that if you were to cease to become a student during your tenancy, you may be liable to pay council tax.

Do I need to insure the property?

Only your personal belongings. Our insurance policy provides buildings insurance cover.

Are locks fitted on bedroom doors?

Yes, all of our properties are fitted locks to all bedrooms.

These are approved by Sheffield City Council which have a thumb turn on the inside allowing exit from the bedroom in an emergency without the use of a key.

Do I need a parking permit?

If the property does not have off-road parking, you will need a parking permit.

All areas, except Crookes, require parking permits.

Each permit costs £46.80 per year for the first vehicle, and £93.60 per year for additional vehicles (Note: Sheffield City Council may restrict the number of permits per household)

Visitors permits can be obtained are £16.25 for a booklet of 25 permits - each visitor permit is only valid for 24 hours.

For more information, contact Sheffield City Council Parking Services on;

Tel: 0114-273-5469


Web Site Link:

What is included in the property?

The fixtures and fittings for each property may vary, but in general, a typical house will include;


Double or 3/4 Bed
Chest of Drawers
Internet and T.V aerial points


Dining Table & Chairs
42" HD T.V
T.V Table
Internet and T.V aerial points


Electric Oven & Hob
Microwave Oven
Internet and T.V aerial points 

Please Note: Tenant's own fridges or fridge freezers cannot be brought in to the property

Note: Cooking utensils, cutlery, crockery, toaster, kettle, waste bins, mops, buckets, cleaning materials, iron/ironing board, and bedding are not provided.

Does the property comply with regulations?

All properties are tested for the following;

Gas Safety (Annually)
Fire Alarm (At start of Tenancy & Periodic Testing)
Emergency Lighting (Annually)
Electrical Inspection  (every 5 years)
Fire Extinguisher (Annually)
Energy Performance (every 10 years)
In compliance with Government legislation, any property which is let to 5 tenants or more, occupying 2 habitable stories or more, must be licensed with Sheffield City Council, and as such are subject to fire, safety, and health regulations. A copy of the licence is available on request. Alternatively, you may contact Sheffield City Council Private Sector Housing on 0114-273-4680

What fire prevention facilities does the property have?

In compliance with mandatory regulations, all required areas of the property have a mains wired interlinked fire alarm system, and as minimum include smoke detectors to communal areas. In compliance with current regulations, properties with 6 bedrooms or more also provide a smoke detector to each bedroom.
The kitchen will have a heat detector as well as a dry powder extinguisher and a fire blanket.
Normally, a fire extinguisher is also usually situated in the hallway and on each landing.
All doors provide 30-minute fire protection

When I sign for the property, can I leave or be released from the Tenancy Contract at any point?

No, upon signing the tenancy contract, please be aware that you have entered into a legally binding agreement for the specified term.

However, we appreciate that there may be unforeseen circumstances where an individual may require to be released from their tenancy contract.  Any such request must be formally made and agreed with PC properties, and a replacement tenant must be found.

All obligations under the terms of the contract must be met up to the date on which a replacement formally takes over the agreement. A discretionary £50 Administration fee may be charged, and this is normally deducted from your deposit. Any replacement can only be accepted subject to the agreement and satisfaction of PC Properties, and with the written agreement of all tenants

We want to rent the house and sign the contract, what’s next?

To reserve the property, we require that you make a firm appointment within 5 days to visit PC Properties to provide the following;

A refundable Deposit = £150.00p (payable by card, cheque, or cash)
Sign the Tenancy Agreement 

(* Important - Please see the separate section below regarding proof of identity and Right to Rent a property in England)

Confirmation of Standing Order or provision of Post Dated Rent Cheques to cover the rent due for the period of the tenancy agreement to be provided within 60 days of signing the tenancy agreement.

Provide Tenant details including contact details, National Insurance Number, Student ID/Registration Number, details of University course, etc.

If payment of rent is to be made by providing Post Dated Rent Cheques, these are not cashed until the due dates which are:

20th June (Covers the period 1st July to 31st October)
20th October (Covers the period 1st November to 28th February)
20th February (Covers the period 1st March to 30th June)

We can offer flexibility regarding rent payment due dates, and which can be tailored to loan dates.  Alternatively, payment of the first 3 months’ rent may be made on a monthly basis.

Upon receipt of cleared funds, your refundable deposit of £150.00p will be protected and lodged with a Government approved deposit scheme provider within 30 days - The Deposit Protection Service Ltd (DPS). The DPS will provide your Deposit ID and repayment ID numbers by e-mail; you will need these to claim your deposit back, so please do keep them safe!

Once you receive confirmation from the DPS that they are in receipt of your deposit, log on to your personal account on their web site -, using your e-mail address, and then activate your account by setting up a password. Check that your account details on their website are correct. 

Should your details change during the course of your tenancy, particularly your e-mail address, please do remember to amend this on the DPS web site.

* Do I need to provide I.D before signing the Tenancy Agreement?

Before taking up occupancy and In accordance with Section 22 of the 2014 Immigration Act, and the Right to Rent a property in England, legislation introduced on the 1st February 2016 requires that all tenants must provide proof of identity.

If you are a U.K citizen, you must provide your passport, or any two of the following documents; a valid UK driving licence, birth certificate, or a letter from your University confirming your course acceptance. 

European Economic Area (EEA) tenants must provide a passport or national identity card

Non-UK or EEA students must provide their passport and visa.

Documents will be photo copied, and copies will be held on file at the offices of PC Properties.

Can I rent the property for a further year?

Yes, we will write to you prior to the start of each new letting period, giving you the opportunity to renew your tenancy for a further term.

When can we move in?

Normally, from 1pm on the 1st of July

Keys are collected from our office during normal office hours - Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm.

The collection of keys on a weekend can be arranged provided that we are given adequate notice.

Please note that our office is not open weekends unless the 1st of July should fall on a Saturday or Sunday.

Will the property be cleaned before we move in?

Yes, all of our properties are professionally cleaned, although this cannot be guaranteed from day one of your tenancy due to the short vacant period/changeover.

Please rest assured that the property will be cleaned as quickly as possible. Houses left in poor condition by the outgoing tenants are of course prioritised.

If your house has not been cleaned at the point of moving in, please keep your belongings tidy until the cleaning is completed.

Is an inventory provided?

Yes, please check this when you move into your property, sign, and return it with any amendments/additions. 

Please Note: Because there is usually no gap between the end of one tenancy and the start of another, the Inventory & Schedule of Condition Report you will receive is a statement of the condition of the property as left by the outgoing tenants. 

All properties are inspected at the end of each tenancy. Any repairs etc identified during our inspection will be dealt with as soon as possible.

Please note that we do not normally provide the inventory until everyone has moved in to the property which is usually around mid-September.

How do we set up gas, electric and water suppliers?

We can offer very competitive all-inclusive utility deals - please contact our office for rental prices inclusive of gas, electric, water & T.V licence.

If you decide to source your own suppliers, PC Properties will provide opening meter readings together with the name of the current supplier, should you wish to remain with them.

When moving in, you should set up an account with your chosen Electric & Gas suppliers as soon as possible. Water services are only supplied by Yorkshire Water; you should also set up an account with them as soon as possible. Please note that you may choose to stay with the current supplier or you can change to a supplier of your choice. Your notice board in the house should provide the contact numbers of most suppliers.

We recommend that any Gas, Electric or Water accounts are set up in your joint names. These are usually billed quarterly.

If you decide to opt for the non-inclusive rental option, then you may wish to consider UniHomes who offer an all-inclusive utility bill service.  They will also divide the bill equally between all tenants, sending each tenant their own individual bill for payment.


Please note that you are responsible for all-electric, gas, water & T.V licence charges  from the formal commencement date of your tenancy, normally the 1st of July, to the formal end of your tenancy, normally 30th June

What is required when we vacate the property at the end of our tenancy?

Towards the end of your tenancy we will send you a series of notices notice’s which are designed to make your move out as stress-free as possible, and importantly, to help you ensure a speedy and full refund of your deposit.
Approximately two months before the end of your tenancy we will send you each a deposit claim form, which must be completed and returned to our office by the end of your tenancy.
Please ensure your bedrooms, kitchen, lounge, hallways, stairs, and landings are thoroughly cleaned and left tidy before leaving.
The most common source of deposit deductions is house cleaning and rubbish removal. This includes any of your own furniture, utensils, and appliances.
Any rubbish or items placed in the cellar area should also be removed and disposed of.
Sheffield City Council operate a waste disposal scheme for the removal of excess rubbish which cannot be accommodated in the bins. Two waste sacks will be provided per tenant.
The scheme operates from around mid-June up to 1st week of July. PC Properties will deliver a supply of Sacks to each property.
House keys must be returned to our office before 1pm on the last day of your tenancy. If you are returning keys by post, then they should be sent by recorded delivery to PC Properties within a secure padded bag and clearly marked with your property address, name, and room number.
Ensure you record your final meter readings on the last day of your tenancy. Give these to the suppliers and provide a forwarding address of the bills. PC Properties will request confirmation of your current suppliers.

How do I claim my deposit back?

As per the terms of your tenancy agreement, PC Properties will undertake to authorise the DPS to refund your deposit within 30 days from the end of your tenancy, providing that the following conditions are met;

Where the tenants arrange their own utility bills, proof of payment of all bills is provided to PC Properties, namely gas, electricity & water
If the tenancy agreement is inclusive of utility bills, deposits will be released once PC Properties are in receipt of the final bills and providing that the tenants have not exceeded the energy fair usage, and provided that we are in receipt of payment of any excess charges.
Confirmation of utility providers has been supplied to PC Properties
All rents due have been paid in full.
The property has been returned in good clean condition, all rubbish and personal effects have been removed, and has been left in good state of repair
All keys to the property have been returned to PC Properties
All fully completed deposit refund claim forms have been returned to PC Properties
Any bills relating to costs for which the tenants may be liable have been received by PC Properties
For detailed instructions on how to claim back your deposit from the DPS, please go to our Home page.

Who do we contact if we have a problem or require advice?

During normal office hours (Monday to Thursday 9.00am to 5.00pm & Friday 9.00am to 4.00pm), please contact our office at 398, Ecclesall Road, Sheffield S11 8PJ by telephone: 0114-267-6177 or by e-mail:

If the problem is an Emergency and is outside of normal office hours, please contact either Phil Darwent (PC Properties Maintenance) on 07968-072610 or Peter Turkington (PC Properties Manager) on 07973-166691

There is an information board in every property (usually in the hallway). This contains all the necessary numbers.  But, please do not hesitate to contact Collette Brookes or Peter Turkington should you have any query or problem - we are here to help you and to ensure that your stay with PC Properties is a happy and comfortable one!